We have tentatively planned for a panel at our October 20 workshop on providing access to people with disabilities to discuss technological barriers, solutions, and costs as they relate to broadband networks, services, equipment, software, content, and tech support.
Please give us your feedback on workshop planning issues (e.g., how to structure this panel, suggested questions and speakers, and helpful background reading material) and policy issues.
- As a general matter, what technical issues do we need to consider as we formulate policy recommendations "to stay ahead of technology?"
- How would a "functionally inclusive infrastructure" which would build accessibility features directly into the broadband infrastructure be built? How much would it cost? Should the National Broadband Plan include specific policy recommendations relating to the "functionally inclusive infrastructure?"
- What are the technical issues that we need to consider as we formulate policies related to "improve access to 9-1-1 (including location capabilities) for those communicating with non-traditional text, video, and instant messaging communications services?
- On what technical issues relating to equipment, software, content and tech support affecting the accessibility of broadband should we focus?
- What are the interoperability challenges that manufacturers face and what steps need to be taken to address these challenges? What policies would promote "openness" and ensure that assistive technology (AT) vendors are not locked out of closed systems?
- What are the technical challenges related to ensuring that AT equipment is compatible with broadband equipment and software - and that sufficient tech support is available to help consumers navigate the interaction between these devices?
- How much accessibility should be incorporated in mass market equipment through universal design principles and how much accessibility should be gained through assistive technologies?
- What are the technical issues related to making broadband media accessible and what are some of the innovations that will be necessary to make user-generated content accessible?
- What other information that you think would help us better understand the technological barriers and solutions, including information responsive to the more specific questions in our recent Public Notice?.